Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Staff Physician (Palliative Care) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Albuquerque, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (7 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 11/14/2016 (24 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1824069
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System (NMVAHCS) strives to provide the highest quality primary, secondary and tertiary health care to its beneficiaries through a compassionate, innovative health care system, excellent training and education of health care professionals, and effective use of available resources. As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Relocation/Recruitment incentives are not authorized for this position.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
* MACINTOSH (APPLE) COMPUTER USERS IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONTACT THE AGENCY ENSURE YOUR DATA HAS BEEN SAVED IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE.*
The New Mexico VA Health Care System (NMVAHCS) and the University Of New Mexico School Of Medicine (UNM-SOM) are seeking a full-time physician to serve as a Palliative Medicine / Hospice provider within the Medicine Service Line.
Clinical duties of the successful candidate will be primarily in the inpatient setting dealing with patients on the PCU for both palliative care needs as well as "end of life" and hospice needs. Additional duties include doing outpatient and inpatient consultations as needed. The opportunity to participate in other programs is negotiable.
The ideal candidate is a board certified Internist with added board certification in Palliative Medicine / Hospice. Applicants with fellowship training and experience in Palliative Care programs and VA settings are preferred. The NMVAHCS and UNM-SOM provide training to Palliative Care fellows, Geriatric fellows, Residents in internal medicine, medical students and trainees in many other disciplines.
Faculty appointment at UNM-SOM will be commensurate with training and achievements.
The NMVAHCS is affiliated with the University of New Mexico School of Medicine (UNM-SOM). Together our institutions provide training to geriatric fellows, palliative care fellows, residents in internal medicine, medical students and trainees in many other disciplines. Faculty appointment at UNM-SOM will be commensurate with training and achievements. The incumbent will work collaboratively with the Division of Geriatric Medicine at UNM-SOM in high quality programs in research and education.
Albuquerque is a major metropolitan area with a population of 890,000, with mild winters and pleasant summers. NMVAHCS is located on a 100-acre campus; is a 217 bed medical/surgical, psychiatric, spinal cord center, and research facility with Spinal Cord Injury Center and Geriatric and Extended Care Unit; integrated outpatient and inpatient services provided; full range of primary care, tertiary care; referral services; primary referral site for VISN 22, with significant clinical programs in Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry, Spinal Cord Injury. Our referral area includes the entire state of New Mexico, parts of Southern Colorado, and west Texas. NMVAHCS shares a joint venture with Kirtland Air Force Base and is located near sophisticated research facilities.
Tour of Duty: Full-Time
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Physician/NA
Fair Labor Standards Act: Exempt Bargaining Unit Status Code: 1276
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are: (1) Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or (2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted. (3) For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Board Certification/Eligibility is preferred, as the New Mexico VAHCS is affiliated with the University of New Mexico and is an academic facility.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy carrying (45 lbs and over): Straight pulling and pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking and standing up to 8 hours; repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; hearing aid permitted.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
"In Accordance with VA Handbook 5383 (VA Drug-Free Workplace Program) Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA."
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $225,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453208500
Job Announcement Number: ABQ-17-011-JLS-1824069-BU