Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Licensed Practical Nurse (Primary Care) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Baton Rouge, LA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 9/20/2016 (31 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 8/31/2017 (314 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN)1800494
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Project Legacy Statement
**Residents of Greater New Orleans enjoy one of the highest qualities of life in the United States. While we are known to enjoy many of the best restaurants in the world, more than 300 festivals, vibrant nightlife, not to mention Mardi Gras, that's just the beginning of what we have to offer. We treasure family and community, our children have access to high-quality education, we enjoy an incredible abundance of the arts, and so much more!
Here at Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System, we strive to be an efficient organization through continual process improvement and orderliness by eliminating waste in everything we do. We are generating a Lean environment of abundance and ownership, enabling us to become "one team creating the perfect patient experience" so that we may honor Veterans and their families.
We're in the process of constructing and activating a new medical center that will serve as a model for health care of the future and set the standards for patient-centered care, flexibility and sustainability. It will be a level one, 200 bed tertiary care regional referral center that is projected to serve 70,000 enrolled Veterans. The new medical center will be approximately 1.6 million square feet, with two additional 1,000-car garages for both patients and staff on a 30-acre site in New Orleans. The facility has been designed to meet the full array of VA missions: health care to America's heroes, education, research and national preparedness. It will authentically reflect the culture of the region and be the cornerstone for the emerging biosciences industry in New Orleans. You can help us build from the ground up. Create history with us and join our team! For more information about the greater New Orleans area, visit http://www.destinationgno.com/
To learn more about Project Legacy, the project to design and build a new medical center to replace the one damaged from Hurricane Katrina, visit http://www.neworleans.va.gov/ProjectLegacy.asp Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VANewOrleans Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VANewOrleans
- Demonstrate the ability to vary the order and sequence of routines to accomplish care needs based on patients' condition, physician orders or established protocols/procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs, objective/subjective symptoms reported or identified and is able to modify the plan of care or process to meet the emotional, physical and social factors exhibited by the patient.
- Demonstrate the ability to implement and input data and orders into CPRS as required by facility protocols and policies.
- Administers and documents selected medication via parenteral, intradermal, inhaled, oral or topical routes per SLVHCS policy.
- Reinforce educational needs of patients related to diagnostic tests, procedures, health education and personal health planning, disease prevention, health promotion and disease management.
- Utilize motivational interviewing strategies when engaging in face to face or non face to face encounters.
- Utilize motivational interviewing strategies when engaging face to face or non face to face encounters.
- Recognize and responds to emergency situations, anticipating emergent protocol and implementation of it and seeks assistance of the RN and/or MD/NP/PA to initiate appropriate emergency intervention as directed.
- Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge skills, sharing new knowledge gained with staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
- Follow clinic and team routines related to the implementation of the Patient aligned Care Team (PACT) model.
- Provides patient care that is appropriate to the cognitive, physical, emotional, and chronological maturation needs of the patient group served.
*TOUR OF DUTY: *Monday-Friday, 7:30AM and 4:00PM including occasional Saturdays
*Functional Statement Title/#: *Licensed Practical Nurse (Primary Care)
(Functional statement available for review in Human Resource office)
This is a BARGAINING unit position.
- Not Required
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Subject to initial and/or random drug testing.
- Subject to initial and/or annual medical examiniation.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Completion of Credentialing Process (VETPRO)
- Current Employees must submit an SF-50.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- *U.S. citizenship. * Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education:Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Exceptions include: Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment; Individuals granted a license by a jurisdiction that does not require graduation from an approved school.
- Licensure: Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- Physical Standards: Must meet the physical standard in VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- English Language Proficiency:Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations: A minimum of one year of qualifying experience as a GS-5 or fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN.
References: VA Handbook 5005 , Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs. and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs. and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating. We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.* Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave:* Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.**
Salary Range: $36,025.00 to $46,831.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0620-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 450575800
Job Announcement Number: FE-17-GR-1800494-BU