Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Medical Officer in Boston, Massachusetts
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Boston, MA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 11/8/2016 (12 day(s) away)
The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) works in partnership with the entire health care community to improve quality and efficiency in an evolving health care system and provides leadership in the broader health care marketplace.
CMS' effectiveness depends on the capabilities of a dedicated, professional staff that is committed to supporting these objectives. A career with CMS offers the opportunity to get involved on important national health care issues and be part of a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly visible organization. For more information on CMS, please visit: http://www.cms.gov/.
This position is located in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Consortium for Quality Improvement and Survey and Certification Operations (CQISCO) located in Boston, MA.
WHO MAY APPLY: This vacancy is advertised under Direct Hire Authority and is open to all United States Citizens or Nationals. Selections made under this vacancy announcement will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given new appointments to the civil service; however, benefits, time served and all other Federal entitlements would remain the same. Click here for more information and definitions regarding applicants who may apply to this vacancy announcement.
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the application process.
Current Commissioned Corps Officers and boarded applicants interested in applying for this position must send their professional resume (not Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter to DSRWS-CC@cms.hhs.gov in lieu of applying through this announcement. You are to include the Job Announcement Number in the subject line and your current rank / application status in your email. Failure to provide this information may impact your consideration for this position.
Working in the Consortium for Quality Improvement and Survey and Certification Operations (CQISCO) you will serve as a Medical Officer functioning as a liaison to the medical and other health professional communities in the Region. Specifically you will:
- Serve as a consultant to the regional staff providing clinical input relative to CMS programs and initiatives.
- Review and analyze data related to the health care in the region in an effort to identify opportunities to work with others to improve access to services and the quality of the services provided.
- Provide medical/clinical expertise in the review of traditional Medicare, Medicare Advantage (MA) and Medicaid managed care quality improvement programs.
- Provide testimony in administrative hearings, settlement agreements, advice and counsel in program or personnel suits, and clinical determinations in other judicial proceedings in order to safeguard the Medicare Trust Fund and maintain the integrity of the CMS programs.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the "same geographical location" includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
- Occasional Travel
- up to 25%
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon appointment
ALL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the qualification requirements, all candidates must have the following requirements:
Education:Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
TRANSCRIPTS are required to verify satisfactory completion of the educational requirement listed above. Please see the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section below for more information.
A) Licensure: Candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Applications will be accepted from physicians who are not currently licensed; however, if selected for appointment, they must (a) obtain a license before entering on duty.
B) Board Certification/Eligibility: Candidates must be Board Certified in Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Endocrinology, Geriatric Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pathology, Public Health and General Prevention Medicine, Family Medicine, Pulmonary Disease or Preventive Medicine. Please see the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section below for more information.
*PROOF OF LICENSURE/REGISTRATION *is required at the time of application to verify possession of the license/registration requirement listed above. Please see the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section below for more information.
In order to qualify at the GS-15, you must meet the following: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level obtained in the public or private sector to include: (1) performing observational studies as it relates to health care service delivery systems; (2) recommending solutions to improve the quality of health care; and (3) leading subordinate employees in performing assessments of the quality of healthcare.
Click the following link to view the assessment questionnaire: View Assessment Questions
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- Optional Form 306 Declaration of Federal Employment available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/of0306.pdf. This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required prior to final job offer.
E-Verify: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. Click here for more information.
Selective Service: Male applicants born after 12/31/1959 must have registered for the Selective Service. Click here for more information.
Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
Oath of Office: All Federal employees are required to take the Oath of Office and sign Standard Form (SF) 61, Appointment Affidavits.
- SF 61 Appointment Affidavits available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/sf61.pdf. This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required at the time of in-processing.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Within 15 business days of the closing date, Tuesday, November 08, 2016 you may check your status online at USAJOBS. We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed.
The Federal government offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. For more information, check out OPM's Employee Benefits Information.
Bargaining Unit Position:Yes
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Required
In addition to normal salary, when applicable requirements are met, Physicians Comparability Allowance (PCA) will be authorized.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced federal employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be rated well qualified for this vacancy. Well qualified applicants excel in the evaluation criteria for the position. Additional information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Job Seekers with Disabilities: Click here for more information.
CMS employees currently participating in 100% Full-Time Telework Program may be eligible to remain in the program. If an employee in this program is selected, the pay will be set in accordance with the locality pay for the applicable duty station. The listed salary range reflects the locality pay assigned to the duty location(s) listed in the vacancy announcement. For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Salaries & Wages Page.
Salary Range: $128,503.00 to $160,300.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-15/15
Promotion Potential: 15
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452696200
Job Announcement Number: CMS-CQISCO-DH-17-1818257