Internal Revenue Service Government Information Specialist (Disclosure Specialist) in Chicago, Illinois
About the Agency
WHAT DOES A *DISCLOSURE SPECIALISTDO?*As a Disclosure Specialist you will be responsible for contributing to the implementation of disclosure/privacy program for the organization, where you will assist in the review and dissemination of sensitive personnel issues involving labor-management relations and testimony authorizations. In this position, you will be required to make technical decisions that are independently researched and process cases where guidelines are not specifically applicable and where past precedent and practices must be applied. Your work will also consist of projects and studies that require analysis of the effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity of interrelated issues.
WHAT IS THE PRIVACY, GOVERNMENTAL LIAISON, AND DISCLOSURE (PGLD)*DIVISION?*PGLD is responsible for preserving and enhancing public confidence by advocating for the protection and proper use of identity information. This position is in Governmental Liaison, Disclosure and Safeguards section of PGLD whose mission is to provide timely public access to IRS records in accordance with applicable disclosure laws; strengthen America’s tax system by partnering with federal, state and local governmental agencies; and ensure IRS employees and external partners protect confidential tax and privacy information.
1 Vacancy to be filled in PGLD/GLDS Disclosure Area East Office 2 in one of the following locations: 31 Hopkins Plaza, Baltimore, MD (MD0055) or 600 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA (PA0277)
1 Vacancy to be filled in PGLD/GLDS Disclosure Area East Office 5 in one of the following locations: 230 S Dearborn St, Chicago, IL (IL0236) or 550 Main St, Cincinnati, OH (OH0189)
1 Vacancy to be filled in PGLD/GLDS Disclosure Area West Office 12 in one of the following locations: 1160 W 1200 S Ogden, UT (UT0036) or 1222 Spruce, St Louis, MO (MO0106)
Moving expenses will NOT be authorized.
As a Disclosure Specialist you will:
- Develop, disseminate, and administer specific local programs, practices, and procedures in accordance with guidelines.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to customers on Disclosure/Privacy matters including the routine maintenance of files containing sensitive personnel and confidential issues to ensure proper Disclosure compliance.
- Coordinate, review and approve the release and non-release of information on all requests under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act (PA) of 1974.
- Coordinate the exchange of Federal tax and other official information to ensure timely responses.
- Conduct training for the organization concerning the disclosure of information under the Disclosure/Privacy statutes.
- Initiate and maintain daily contact, written articles, and presentations to promote awareness of disclosure statutes (e.g., FOIA, PA, and Internal Revenue Code Section 6103)
- Plan and perform quality reviews in order to determine compliance with disclosure/privacy regulations, identify Disclosure/Privacy violations, and provide recommendations.
- Analyze results from safeguard, quality, and fact-finding reviews of agencies in possession of federal tax information and advise key agency officials with recommendations. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
- Occasional Travel
- 1-5 nights per month possible
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
*GS-07 LEVEL:* You must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience with disclosure legislation, the Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act, and the Internal Revenue Code in order to effectively deal with the rights of the requestors and the responsibilities regarding the release and non-release of information. Experience working with disclosure programs, to perform research and functional reviews; experience applying analytical techniques used to resolve technical problems and issues; and oral and written communication techniques to document actions and deal with taxpayers or other customers. OR *You may substitute education for specialized experience specialized experience as follows: At least one (1) full academic year of graduate education in any field of study from an accredited college or university. *OR **Superior Academic Achievement may be met by having a Bachelors degree, with one of the following: A GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last 2 years of study, or a GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all courses in the major field of study or those courses in the major completed in the last 2 years of study, or rank in the upper one third of the class in the college, university, or major subdivision, or membership in a national honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies. GS-09 LEVEL: You must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience with disclosure legislation, Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act, and the Internal Revenue Code in order to effectively deal with the rights of the requestors and the responsibilities regarding the release and non-release of information, to promote awareness of Disclosure/Privacy statutes and assists in performing quality reviews to determine compliance with Disclosure/Privacy Regulations. Experience working with disclosure programs, its purpose, the availability and use as needed to perform research and functional reviews; experience applying analytical techniques used to resolve recurring technical problems and issues; Oral and written communication techniques to document actions and to meet and deal with taxpayers. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience specialized experience as follows: Two (2) full academic years of progressively higher level graduate education in any field of study from an accredited college or university. ORMaster's or equivalent graduate degree in any field of study from an accredited college or university OR LL.B or J.D., if related. GS-11 LEVEL:* You must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience with Disclosure Legislation, statutes, Internal Revenue Code Section 6103, the Privacy Act, Freedom of Information Act, the IRM, and other guidelines to effectively deal with the release or non-release of information on requests, provide technical guidance and direction ensuring proper Disclosure compliance, and assist in the conduction of quality reviews of agencies in possession of federal tax information; Experience using IDRS to effectively research and respond to basic questions or requests concerning the release of confidential information. In addition, your experience should include analytical techniques used to resolve technical problems and issues where disclosure statutes and guidelines must be interpreted; Oral and written communication techniques to document case files, assist in the preparation of reports, and meet and deal with taxpayers and other customers. OR *You may substitute education for specialized experience specialized experience as follows: Three (3) full academic years of progressively higher level graduate education in any field of study from an accredited college or university OR PH.D or equivalent doctoral degree in any field of study from an accredited college or university. **ORLL.M., if related.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable: You must have been at the next lower grade level of the grade you are applying to for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.” Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Review our benefits
POSITION DESCRIPTIONS GS-07 98440, GS-09 98169, GS-11 98170 A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at : https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*:*
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargainingunit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM, TOD may be negotiated at time of selection.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472460800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
- Additional Duty Location Info
Additional Duty Location Info
3 vacancies in the following locations
- Chicago, IL
- Baltimore, MD
- Saint Louis, MO
- Cincinnati, OH
- Philadelphia, PA
- Ogden, UT
Salary Range: $40,684.00 to $86,460.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0306-07/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Current IRS employees on a Career or Career Conditional appt. in the competitive service.
Control Number: 472460800
Job Announcement Number: 17CW1-PGB0377-306-7-11-DL