Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Psychiatry) in Grand Island, Nebraska
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Grand Island, NE
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 9/30/2016 (26 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 11/30/2016 (35 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): T1812691
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
This position is located in the Mental Health Service Line. Psychiatrists are an integral part of the mental health care team providing mental health services at VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System Mental Health Programs. The primary responsibility of the Psychiatrist is to provide comprehensive psychiatric management of mental conditions in Veterans presenting self-referred or as consultation referrals from other services. Management consists of ordering appropriate investigations, referrals, pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments, including evidence-based psychotherapies and further referral to specialized mental health programs.
Clinical Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assumes responsibility as the primary mental health provider for the patient, as appropriate, for diagnosis, treatment, education, monitoring and continuing care as the need arises
- Timely documentation of electronic medical records and encounters, screening reminders and other assessment tools as required for patient care and quality purposes
- Functions as liaison between patient and community agencies as the need arises for optimal patient care
- Maintains the expected panel of patients with appropriate workload based on hours in the clinic
- Engages in clinic quality improvement efforts in areas of safety, risk assessment, access, efficiency, effectiveness and patient satisfaction
- Maintains working professional relationships with other disciplines involved in Veteran care, for optimal patient outcome
- Utilizes referral resources appropriately as the need arises
- Promotes continuity of care for assigned Veterans who transition between different levels of care
- A recruitment or relocation incentive is authorized for a highly qualified applicant.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, Day. Regular rotation into extended hour clinics required on weekday evenings and Saturday hours.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician, Psychiatry
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Full unrestricted licensure, certification, or registration required.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Lifting up to 35 pounds for 8-12 hours, intermittently; moderate carrying (15-35 pounds) for 8-12 hours, intermittently; lifting over 35 pounds with assistive devices in accordance with the Safe Patient; Handling Policy (PCS-026) except in emergent situations requiring prompt patient care; pulling for 8-12 hours, intermittently; pushing for 8-12 hours, intermittently; reaching above the shoulders for 8-12 hours, intermittently; both hands required; walking 8-12 hours, intermittently; standing 8-12 hours, intermittently; kneeling 8-12 hours, intermittently; repeated bending for 8-12 hours intermittently; climbing and use of both legs and arms for 8-12 hours, intermittently; both legs required;near vision correctable at 13-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); specific hearing requirements; and other: twisting, simple grasp and fine manipulation.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451815900
Job Announcement Number: IN-16-1812691-HAK-BU