Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Nurse Practitioner - Primary Care in Hillsboro, Oregon
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
4 vacancies in the following locations:
- Hillsboro, OR
- Portland, OR
- Salem, OR
- Vancouver, WA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 9/30/2016 (27 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (65 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1815671
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans? The VA Portland Health Care System (VAPHCS) is a type 1-A facility serving a large and diverse group of veterans.
VA Portland HCS Mission: Honor America's Veterans by providing exceptional health care that improves their health and well-being. VAPHCS Vision: To be a patient-centered integrated health care organization for Veterans providing excellent health care, research and education; an organization where people choose to work; an active community partner; and a backup for national emergencies. VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38 and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Recruitment/Relocation incentive may be authorized for this position.
The Primary Care Nurse Practitioner is an expert nurse who demonstrates performance and leadership that is broad enough to improve the care for a group of patients. The Nurse Practitioner (NP) is an independent member of the Medical Staff, with delineated clinical privileges. The NP is accountable for the evaluation, management and coordination of care for a panel of patients under his/her care. The NP provides comprehensive outpatient primary, urgent care, preventive and wellness care as well as a spectrum of acute, episodic and end-of-life care to Veterans. This includes performing histories and physicals, ordering and interpreting diagnostic and therapeutic test/studies, initiating consults and referrals, prescribing medications and supplies in accordance with VA policy, VA formulary and State regulations and formulating, initiating and evaluating health care teaching for primary care patients and their families. The NP is responsible for documented clinical performance outcomes at the primary care service level. The NP guides, develops, and supports staff from a leadership perspective using professional standards of care, scientific evidence, and practice to evaluate programs and/or service activities. Teaching activities are for NP students and may occur within the NP's practice setting. The employee will be the/a primary clinical surrogate for licensed independent provider(s) at their assigned duty station. The employee can also be assigned as the clinical surrogate for any licensed independent provider(s) in the Portland VA Medical Center's catchment area.
Preferred candidate has 3+ years of Primary Care Experience as a Licensed Independent Practitioner of Primary Care in an Outpatient setting.
Work Schedule: The selected candidate will work Monday Friday or Saturday, with varying shifts and on-call duties, as necessary.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or Accredidaion Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing (CGFNS must be provided. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit evidence of ability to sit for the NCLEX along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a nurse practitioner in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Education/Experience Requirements:Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization. Professional Development: performance, education/career development. Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality. Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
*Grade Determinations: *Experience as a Nurse Practitioner will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
PLEASE NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Moderate Carrying (15-44lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13 to 16; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Emotional and Mental stability; Hearing (aid permitted)
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $62,777.00 to $123,761.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452188100
Job Announcement Number: VS-16-BPA-1815671-BU