Allergan Director, Project Management in Irvine, California
Director, Project Management
Irvine, California, United States at http://agn.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/619/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Oct 10, 2016Post Date
Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) is a bold, global pharmaceutical company and a leader in a new industry model – Growth Pharma. Allergan is focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceuticals and biologic products for patients around the world. Allergan markets a portfolio of best-in-class products that provide novel treatments for the central nervous system, eye care, medical aesthetics and dermatology, gastroenterology, women's health, urology, anti-infective and cardiovascular therapeutic categories. With commercial operations in approximately 100 countries, Allergan is committed to working with physicians, healthcare providers and patients to deliver innovative and meaningful treatments that help people around the world live longer, healthier lives. Our success is powered by our world-class team’s commitment to being Bold for Life. Together, we build bridges, power ideas, act fast and drive results for our customers and patients around the world by always doing whatit is right.
Join one of the world’s fastest growing pharmaceutical companies!
At Allergan you will have the opportunity to thrive in a fast-paced, strategic environment where bold, innovative thinking isn’t just welcomed, it’s encouraged. Across all functions, we relish the opportunity to help our people fulfill their potential. Our rapid growth strategy means plenty of opportunities to step into the spotlight.
The incumbent is responsible for the overall coordination and management (organization, planning, execution, monitoring, and control) of global R&D projects to which he/she is assigned. He/she is accountable for managing the operational aspects of the projects and building and managing cross-functional core teams that drive product development at Allergan. He/she is often considered the Chief Operating Officer (COO) for assigned projects and is considered promulgator and trainer for Allergan’s Growth Product Flow (GPF) development model.
The Director, Project Management will likely be assigned to some of the organization’s most complex programs (2-4) requiring advanced management and leadership skills. He/she will be required to interact confidently and appropriately with Senior-level R&D Management (BRDLT), as well as Allergan’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT) when needed. Individual will likely also be a key candidate for Governance Board (GB) Meeting Manager position - as part of the GPF structure, GB’s exist for each Therapeutic Area (TA), tasked with oversight and decision-making authority for their respective TA-specific project portfolios. He/she is expected to be a strategic thinker who can contribute to and lead departmental initiatives (including documentation and reporting), and potentially act as a mentor for more junior staff. Individual is expected to demonstrate an enhanced ability to influence outcomes without direct authority, and an ability to hold oneself and others accountable for commitments. Individual should possess superior multi-disciplinary team skills, an ability to operate with minimal oversight/guidance, and a broad knowledge of drug development globally. He/she should be proficient in PM tools including at the enterprise level.
The position requires a firm foundation of experience in the pharmaceutical/device industry and a thorough understanding and effective application of project management techniques. Superior team skills and ability to communicate to a wide range of stakeholders (core teams, sub-teams, functional leadership, Governance Boards, collaborators and development partners) are critical. Ability to guide the team to align operational project plans with approved project strategy, identify potential problems proactively, and lead risk management assessments is required for success.
Main Areas of Responsibilities
· Primarily responsible for the management and planning support required by global multidisciplinary teams across varied therapeutic areas that are tasked with advancing Allergan’s pharma development projects, at all stages of development (from exploratory development through full development, and life cycle management). He/she is expected to enable the same via effective project planning, multidisciplinary internal/external team coordination, process facilitation and communication (right information, at the right time, to the right audience).
· Create, coordinate and maintain an integrated project plan called the Global Development Strategy (GDS) document in collaboration with assigned cross-functional project team(s) each led by a Project Leader. Identify, communicate and monitor the critical path of the project.
· In partnership with the Project Lead, drive execution of chosen strategy per agreed plan with the team so as to manage the overall project to time, quality, budget, scope and risks.
· Proactively identify and facilitate resolution of any potential or actual deviations from the plan, ensuring budget and forecast accuracy, identifying risks to achieving key milestones and concurrently evaluating opportunities for acceleration of project plans.
· Work closely with Core Teams and their respective Governance Board to ensure communication of major portfolio milestones and to ensure teams are prepared for GDS review/endorsement, Stage Gate reviews, and escalate/resolve major development issues.
· Where applicable as GB Meeting Manager, work closely with the GB Co-Chairs to set agendas, and cadence/timing of GB meetings. Interface directly with project teams to guide them through the process of preparing for Governance Board meetings. Facilitate the GB meetings, capture decisions and actions, and distribute minutes following the meeting. Ensure elevation of additional budgetary requests as well as ratification for certain late-stage development gates to the BRDLT and the ELT when needed.
· Coordinate preparation of regular cross-functional core team meetings as well as underlying sub-team meetings as requested (scheduling, agenda preparation, material preparation, etc). Chair project team meetings involving all key stakeholders, maintain and distribute timely meeting minutes as well as actions, decisions, issues and communication logs.
· Seek timely progress for actions and resolution to issues. Follow-up on critical action items and alert all needed stakeholders of potential roadblocks or delays.
· In collaboration with the Project Lead and Project Management Head, escalate critical, high impact items per established processes with a view to assist the team in obtaining timely decisions or clarifications from Governance Board and/or R&D Management as needed.
· Prepare monthly project status reports and other project updates or reviews needed by the organization. Report project progress according to established norms at different oversight and decision-making forums within the company.
· Assist the different functions in the preparation of their annual project budget and quarterly forecasts. Provide project information to Finance and R&D Management via established systems/processes as required.
· Exhibit proficiency in the use of standard project management tools/software.
· Advanced knowledge of global drug development, product registration and launch processes.
· Manage/lead multiple projects, objectives and often competitive and changing deadlines with a proven track record of organizational, interpersonal, prioritization and multi-tasking skills.
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills that enable quality communications with various stakeholders, both inside as well as outside the Company.
· Proven record of building team relationships across multiple locations highly desirable
· Stimulate, motivate and build effective inter-personal work relationships across all disciplines.
· Commitment to goals with a positive “can do” approach to solving problems; team-player.
· Excellent organizational skills; highly process-oriented.
· Exhibits sound judgment, analytical acumen and concern for detail under pressure.
· Respects and understands tight schedules and ensures follow-ups as essential.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion, tact and diplomacy in all aspects of work.
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Inspires with compelling vision and persuasive tactics.
· Direct experience in Project Management (at least 5 years leading drug/device projects) as well as a certification in Project Management strongly preferred.
· Advanced degree (such as Masters) in Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related field required. A minimum of 8-12 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry in Clinical Development, Regulatory Affairs, Commercial or Pharmaceutical Development areas including previous active participation in a multidisciplinary product development team needed.