Washington State Dual Language Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Outreach Specialist (WSS3 4503M) Kennewick in Kennewick, Washington
This recruitment is open until filled. Applicant review begins on October 13, 2016. The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.
Employment Security Department (ESD) is recruiting for a Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker (MSFW) Outreach Specialist - WorkSource Specialist 3 (WSS3). This position provides the full array of WorkSource services to customers both in the office and through outreach to MSFWs that are not accessing services within the office. The MSFW Outreach Specialist provides assistance to growers, food processers and non-agricultural employers to find suitable workers in a time-critical environment. The position also helps MSFWs and their families to get jobs and understand employer requirements. The MSFW Outreach Specialist helps to increase services to farm workers, employers and farm worker career development. This position will communicate effectively in person, via telephone and in writing in Spanish and English while performing the duties of this position.
- Provide information about the full range of agency services and programs including unemployment insurance (UI); direct to appropriate internal or external resources and/or support services; provide for continuous engagement.
- Communicate effectively in person, via telephone and in writing in Spanish and English.
- Perform outreach activities to reach farm workers and their families where they live, work or gather; and to those who could not be contacted by normal means of the WorkSource office.
- Explain relevant labor laws and unemployment policies. Provide career and/or employment guidance and training information; refer customers to job search, training providers and/or resources through WorkSource and/or partner services.
- Maintain logs of daily MSFW outreach activities.
- Assist customers in the use of resource center services including technology, resumes, applications, and interview skills training.
- Provide basic information on how to apply for unemployment benefits; direct UI customer concerns, issues and problems to the liaison or supervisor; conduct one-on-one interviews.
- Determine areas and businesses that would benefit from WorkSource services and market WorkSource business services; act as liaison to businesses; identify business needs and job opportunities for customers.
- Supply information addressing human resources support, labor market trends and wages, tax credits and incentives, and employment laws and regulations; refer to websites and other agency and partner services.
- Jointly develop service delivery plan to address; recruit, screen, manage and/or assist employers with job match and referrals; post job orders; coordinate and collaborate with Business Services to ensure consistency of service delivery; share best practices, strategies and information; assist in hiring events.
- Answer phone calls and direct to program teams; provide timely response and services through all forms of customer service (phone, email, face-to-face).
- Manage customer flow in lobby and resource room/career computer center; communicate new information and/or office procedures.
- Facilitate Job Hunter series and other intensive job search workshops.
- Facilitate unemployment insurance reemployment orientations. Qualifications
- Working-level knowledge of characteristics associated with unemployed, dislocated, and disadvantaged populations.
- Awareness-level general knowledge of the workforce one-stop system and partner programs and services.
- Working-level oral communication skills - convey information orally according to the needs of the audience, and receive and understand spoken information.
- Awareness-level workload management skills - plan and organize assignments to create timely, accurate work products. Work efficiently, remain focused, and handle interruptions effectively.
Awareness-level computer skills - use computer hardware and software to complete assignments. Additional requirement:
Ability to communicate effectively in person, via telephone and in writing in Spanish and English. Note: There is an additional five percent assignment pay for this position for required language skills. Supplemental Information
Attach a resume and letter of interest to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing. Other Information As a condition of employment, the successful candidate accepting this position must comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-902-9560 or HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information via e-mail or telephone.
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact email@example.com or (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10361
Department: Employment Security Department
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $36,744.00 - $48,060.00 Annually
Location: Benton County – Kennewick, WA