Argonne National Laboratory Safety Basis Group Leader in Lemont, Illinois
Safety Basis Group Leader
Requisition Number: 402712 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: NWM-Nuclear and Waste Management
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PTL1 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Safety Basis Group Leader oversees the technical design, development, and implementation of the nuclear safety program for Argonne`s nuclear facilities. Responsible for the planning, development, implementation, and maintenance of the authorization basis documents and agreements for Hazard Category 2 and 3 non-reactor nuclear facilities such as, Documented Safety Analyses, Bases for Interim Operations, Transportation Safety Documents, Technical Safety Requirements, and Nuclear Criticality Safety Evaluations, in accordance with applicable federal laws, DOE Orders, DOE Standards, and DOE Directives. Defines scope and cost and develops a master plan for the preparation of annual updates to the authorization bases. Participates in the development/revision of the nuclear facility policies and procedures, and assists in the development of system procedures and training materials. Coordinates, manages, and ensures compliance with DOE start-up and restart requirements (DOE O 425.1).
- Responsible for the management of the safety basis group including mentoring, developing, and evaluating assigned Safety Basis Analysts.
- Functions as the primary point of contact for the Department of Energy-Argonne Site Office on safety basis concerns.
- Manages the Unreviewed Safety Question (USQ) process and perform reviews, including PISA and ESS as necessary, in support of Argonne`s configuration management and change control process.
- Knowledge of DOE requirements, guides and standards for the preparation and maintenance of the safety basis for nuclear facilities, including but not limited to documented safety analyses, basis of interim operations, technical safety requirements, and the un-reviewed safety question process for non-reactor nuclear facilities.
- Experience with verbal and written communication of technical information, including interpreting and integrating results into safety basis documents.
- Comprehensive knowledge of nuclear technology safety standards and practices, radiological safety practices, nuclear technology accident phenomenology, experimental tools and techniques, and nuclear criticality safety.
- Skill in maintaining relationships with the Department of Energy and other national laboratories.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to motivate and train technical staff.
- Considerable knowledge in the use of analytical methods for hazard and risk assessment, failure analysis, radiological and chemical release consequence evaluations.
- Developed organization and project management skills and the ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and to achieve desired goals with required timeframes and within projected budgets.
- Experience hiring and managing nuclear safety talent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.