Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisor Medical Technologist (Specimen Processing) in Loma Linda, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Loma Linda, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 5/5/2016 (170 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number(VIN): 1681853
* OPEN UNTIL FILLED *
Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
For more information on the Who may apply eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board (PSB) and utilized in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
We are seeking a full-time Supervisor Medical Technologist (Specimen Processing) at the Loma Linda VA Medical Center
- Performs broad range of laboratory procedures. In addition, performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results' analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles. Recognizes and communicates predefined critical results affecting patient care.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiological processes and requirements.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnosis deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
- Performs and documents quality control and quality assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace. Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and suggests solutions.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals. Assists with instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education programs.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member. Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others). Gives direction and guidance using underlying principles of laboratory testing. Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines.
Responsibility for a large staff of personnel, including GS-5 and GS 6 Phlebotomists, and GS-7 Medical Laboratory Technicians performing procedures and duties in both inpatient and outpatient specimen procurement, communications, inventory management, reference testing center, central desk operations for the Main Core Lab as well as courier coordination for the off-site labs, CBOCs and blood collections sites.
The duties include scheduling, payroll, recruitment and generations of disciplinary actions, if required. The incumbent will also review and evaluation of employee performance and preparation and yearly updating of Functional Statements and/or Position Descriptions.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8am - 4:30PM ( 1 Position- Supervisor Specimen Processing)
The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp.
- Not Required
- You must be a US citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a security background/suitability investigation.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination and/or PPD/TB Skin Test.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- This position requires candidates to be proficient in English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
GS-9 (Full Performance Level)
(a) Experience. Must have 1 year of creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled.
(b) Education. Must have a Masters degree or 2 academic years of progressively higher-level graduate education in medical technology or directly related field.
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. In addition to the experience or education above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Comprehensive knowledge of professional MT principles, practices, concepts and theories providing for sound independent work.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory quality control and assurance procedures and principles of performance improvement in order to manage reagent and supply inventories and document control systems.
3. Knowledge of laboratory equipment and ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair instrumentation.
4. Ability to plan, organize, set priorities, work as a team member and effectively complete assignments.
5. Ability to use independent technical judgment to analyze and interpret laboratory results.
6. Ability to read, interpret and apply complex written instructions.
7. Skilled in informatics, laboratory data flow and the understanding of laboratory processes.
8. Ability to communicate, consult and interact with other members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
All applicants must submit VA Form 10-2850c, Application for Associated Health positions to receive consideration. Failure to submit this form will result in applicant being disqualified.http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf
Physical Requirements: Medical Technologist Functional Requirements: Light lifting (under 15 lbs.); Light Carrying (under 15 lbs.); Reaching above shoulder: Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (2-8 hours); Standing (2-8 hours); Repeated bending (2-8 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing aid (permitted)
RATING/RANKING PROCEDURES:Applicants who meet the qualification AND basic requirement will be further evaluated by determining the extent to which their work or related experience, education, training, etc., indicate they possess the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs) as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education at the following website: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. * If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. **
Veterans Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD 214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. during our review, if your résumé and application package do not support questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding application notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
Salary Range: $67,838.00 to $88,186.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0644-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 437857200
Job Announcement Number: LL-16-NR-1681853