Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Chief, Extended Care Service) in Marion, Illinois
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Marion, IL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 4/20/2016 (184 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (10 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1684736
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Be a member of a team providing compassionate health care to our Veterans. The Marion VA is a proud service provider to 43,722 Veterans annually in 27 counties in southern Illinois, 8 counties in southwestern Indiana, and 17 counties in northwest Kentucky. We are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity available for a Physician to join the Extended Care Service team at the VA Medical Center in Marion, IL.
As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Please Note: This position requires Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. If selected, applicant will provide proof of current certification prior to employment. Only BLS certification which included Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification obtained from either the American Heart Association (AHA) or the Military Training Network (MTN) will be accepted.
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
EDRP Contact: Carol Stewart, Human Resources Specialist, Human Resources Management (05), Marion, IL @ 618-997-5311, extension 54924.
Applications may be reviewed and referred as received. A selection may be made at any time during the recruitment process.
The Marion, Illinois VA Medical Center is seeking a well qualified, full-time Physician with innovative leadership skills and good interpersonal skills for the Chief, Extended Care Service. The Service Chief will assume clinical, academic and administrative responsibilities and demonstrate positive team spirit consistent with VA mission and core values. The incumbent will demonstrate ability to manage and oversee existing array of programs within the service as well as develop new programs consistent with organizational needs. This position reports to the Chief of Staff.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Leadership for Extended Care Service programs, to ensure regulatory compliance in all settings and levels of patient care.
- Meeting performance targets and benchmarks including Executive Career Field.
- Professional and administrative activities within the Service.
- Orientation and continuing education of staff in collaboration with other involved disciplines and especially in regard to medical staff by-laws.
- Monitoring and evaluating the quality of care provided in the service (this includes access, efficiency, effectiveness and appropriateness of care and treatment of patients served by the programs within the service).
- Responsible for ensuring that individuals with clinical privileges competently provide service within the scope of privileges granted in accordance with facility, VHA, and TJC requirements and standards, including both focused and ongoing evaluations.
- Recommending appointment and clinical privileges for each member of the service and others requesting privileges within the service, along with writing and modifying clinical privileges as requested by Professional Standards Board.
- Responsible for expanding and further strengthening relationship with Academic Affiliates of the facility notably in the areas of Geriatrics and Palliative Care.
The position demands a high degree of organizational stewardship, including participation in various facility-wide committees and willingness to receive additional responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor in accordance with the organizational needs. An ideal candidate will have necessary credentials, experience, leadership potential and familiarity with VHA and other regulatory standards, as well as a desire to enhance the delivery of quality care to our nation's veterans!
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician, Chief, Extended Care Service/#000000
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel to Evansville Health Care Center
- Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be offered to a highly qualified candidate.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Non citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Qualifications: Board Certification in the sub specialty of Geriatric Medicine is strongly desired. Demonstrated administrative and leadership skills are desirable. Preference will be given to the Physician with an underlying active certification in Internal Medicine or Family Practice +/- additional certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. A CMD (Certified Medical Director) from American Medical Director's Association will be a plus but not necessary.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Light to Moderate Lifting (15 - 44 lbs.); Light Carrying (15 lbs. and under); Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking(up to 2 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Kneeling (1 hr); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
Environmental Factors:Working closely with others; Working alone.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice. Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $120,000.00 to $255,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: By law, U.S. Citizens will be given first preference but non-citizens will be considered in the absence of qualified citizens.
Control Number: 436524200
Job Announcement Number: MRN-T38-16-1684736