Google Technical Program Manager, Wearables in Mountain View, California
Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily. As a Technical Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
As a Technical Program Manager for the Wearables Engineering group, you will be a key member of the engineering team working to deliver feature requirements for hardware products in a timely manner according to the product release schedule. You will work closely with Engineering, Industrial Designers, Manufacturing, and joint development technology partners to deliver consumer electronic products. You will play a key role in ensuring that platform requirements are captured, managing cross-functional communication and technical dependencies with other Google teams, creating and driving the overall schedule, identifying and mitigating risk at all stages, and defining the overall rhythm and meeting touch points between teams. You will be flexible to triage incoming issues, analyze device logs to focus root cause and drive emerging feature areas that impact Consumer Hardware products.
- Understand the technology areas and product development lifecycle. Strike a balance between supporting the schedule and doing what is right for the overall product, the user and Google.
- Drive platform delivery by creating and managing schedules for the Consumer Hardware device hardware and software.
- Manage, track, prioritize bugs, and general product improvements. Coordinate changelists and bugs with engineering for major platform releases.
- Lead and/or contribute to operational scalability for Consumer Hardware product releases including metric tracking (open issue rate vs closed, etc.).
- Drive both inter- and intra-team communications establishing a consistent rhythm and delivering accurate project snapshot for all stakeholders. Communicate status and health of the releases as it impacts internal stakeholder teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years of industry experience.
- Experience tracking and translating engineering discussions into actionable engineering tasks and next steps.
- Consumer electronic hardware experience.
- Strong project management skills, demonstrated by strong track record of delivering successful consumer-facing hardware that has shipped in high volume.
- Self-starter with ability to conceive of and accept responsibility for projects and see them through to completion. Ability to work as individual contributor and to contribute as part of a larger team.
- Deadline and detail-oriented. Exceptional problem-solving, negotiation, and organizational skills. Excellent multi-tasker. Proven ability to work as part of a fast-paced team.
- Capable of leading through influence; holding project leads accountable to the greater project goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions.