BluePearl Veterinary Technician - Emergency ( Vet Tech ) in Overland Park, Kansas
BluePearl Overland Park has an immediate need for an experienced Veterinary Technician for their busy Emergency department. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, a quick thinker, able to multi-task efficiently, and have excellent communication skills and compassion. Come work for a fun, fast paced hospital and take advantage of our generous weekend shift differential!
Must be experienced in anesthesia monitoring
Must be available on the weekends
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
It is recognized that some skills may not be performed at all hospitals. The veterinary technician is expected to complete skills in accordance with the hospital’s policies.
• Maintains proficiency at Veterinary Tech Level 2 clinical skills and competencies.
• Compassionately, calmly and gently approaches and handles patients.
• Approaches and handles patients according to safety protocols and core values.
• Able to identify abnormal pathology.
• Able to perform effective oral nerve blocks in preparation for advanced procedures as directed by veterinarian.
• Ability to identify common heart dysrhythmias
• Ability to understand hospital estimates and has ability to present them in a clear manner to clients.
• Ability to perform manual intermittent positive pressure ventilation (with Ambubag or anesthesia reservoir bag).
• Mentors and trains level 1-2 veterinary technicians and assistants.
• Able to address client concerns and answer them appropriately within job duties.
• Able to educate owners in the areas of dental health and appropriate dental home care
• Prepares medications and patient for discharge, and communicates discharge instructions to client.
• If applicable, able to place peripheral catheter in exotics/pocket pets.
• If applicable, demonstrates ability to utilize surgical ventilator.
• Actively participates in hospital’s day to day function by taking on additional responsibilities.
• Additional job duties as assigned.
• Diagnosis and Prognosis.
• Prescribe medications.
• Perform surgery, including dental extraction.
• Please refer and adhere to state-specific restrictions when applicable.
CONTINUING EDUCATION & CAREER DEVELOPMENT
• Participates in a minimum of five (5) internal or external continuing education credit hours annually, including annual OSHA training.
• Proactively seeks opportunities to improve upon skill sets and learn additional skills, enabling greater contribution to the work team.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
• Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
• Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
• Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
• Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
• Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
• Current certification/license in veterinary technology
• Mastery of Tech Level 2 competencies and maintains proficiency.
• Minimum 1 year experience working in department.
• High School graduate.
• Strong interpersonal skills: able to communicate effectively with clients, doctors, management, hospital personnel, tenant specialists, consulting professionals and clients.
• Strong organizational/time management skills: able to set, prioritize and attain goals with attention to detail.
• Strong professional development skills: able to complete continue education in the field of veterinary medicine concurrently with job description.
• Strong sense of integrity: able to maintain highest ethical standards, personal responsibility and accountability and confidentiality of clients, doctors, and all staff.
• Strong analytical thinking skills: ability to use objective data to solve problems/create solutions.
• Follows and upholds the veterinary technology profession’s ethical codes.
• Adhere to and lead by the Five Principles.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, and move) up to 50 pounds. Lifting higher weights requires requesting assistance from another associate.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision.
• Occasionally exposed to airborne particles and illness from patients and chemicals related to animal care and office equipment.
• The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
• Environment where pets are present.
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Who are we? BluePearl Veterinary Partners grew from the dreams of numerous veterinarians who believed pets should have access to high quality, cutting edge healthcare.
We are seeking hospital support with the same philosophy who are looking to grow their career in an exciting environment with a family atmosphere!
Your success is our success! At BluePearl, the continued education of our techs is paramount. Not only do our techs get to work in state of the art facilities with the best veterinary teams in the nation, but they also have access 90% paid scholarships with Penn Foster and CE allowances. We also go even further to hold monthly CE meetings, associate feedback sessions, and opportunities for mentorship and cross-training .
Additional Benefits: BluePearl offers health benefits options, competitive compensation, flexible hours, scrub allowance, opportunity to bring your dog to work, additional training, and unlimited growth potential!
Why our Overland Park location? Our Overland Park hospital is one of three BluePearl hospitals located in the Kansas City metropolitan area. The Overland Park hospital serves the areas of Overland Park, Leawood, Olathe, Kansas City KS and MerriamIt. We offer cardiology, internal medicine, emergency, rehabilitation and soft tissue and orthopedic surgical services. This hospital features advanced diagnostic and imaging technology, including CT scan, laparoscopy, ultrasound and an intensive care unit (ICU) staffed 24 hours a day
One of the best things about Overland Park is that it’s a city of contrasts. Rural attractions like Deanna Rose Farmstead are just minutes from contemporary destinations like the renowned Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art. A welcoming, walkable downtown is an ideal choice for visitors who love the pace of city life, yet elsewhere in Overland Park, the beauty of nature beckons with the lush acreage of the Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens or the gently winding Indian Creek Hike and Bike Trail.
Click here to learn more about Overland Park! at https://www.visitoverlandpark.com/
Click here to learn more about our Overland Park hospital! at https://bluepearlvet.com/overland-park-ks/
Like us on Facebook to learn about BluePearl events and career opportunities! at https://www.facebook.com/BluePearlJobs/
BluePearl is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, sexual or affectional preference, or gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
( Vet Tech )
Job Category: Technicians
Requisition Number: VETER05952
Location: Overland Park, KS, USA