State of Arizona TRANSPORTATION ENGINEER 1 in PHOENIX, Arizona
ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
To learn more about ADOT click here.
TRANSPORTATION ENGINEER 1
IDO/Development/Contracts and Specifications
Work Location: 1651 W. Jackson St., Phoenix, AZ, 85007
This announcement will remain open until filled. First review of resumes will occur on November 1, 2016. Any additional resumes will be reviewed as necessary. This announcement may close at any time.
This position assists in the research, writing, review, and approval of stored specifications, special provisions, and other highway construction specifications related to the ADOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction; Coordinates and conducts meetings with other departments and agencies to gather information, identify problems, and reach consensus in developing and updating specifications for highway construction; Assists in publishing the Standard Specifications book on a periodic basis; Acts as the C&S; representative on the ADOT Standards Committee – Specifications Subcommittee and at other meetings with the construction industry, Federal Highway Administration, and other stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to the design and construction of the State Highway System, and development of specifications.
- Federal and State regulations, policies, procedures; design and construction standards related to the highway development process.
- Construction materials, specifications and organizational requirements.
- Specification or technical writing.
- English language composition, grammar and syntax.
- Oral and written communication.
- Listening and problem solving.
- Microsoft WORD and EXCEL and Adobe Acrobat applications.
- Write construction and technical specifications.
- Manage a number of tasks and assignments simultaneously.
- Proactively identify specification changes necessary due to changing policies, administrative rules, regulations, or statutes
- Effectively communicate in written and verbal form.
- Conduct meetings and presentations to a variety of audiences.
Will have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Civil Engineering; will be a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Arizona or be eligible for reciprocity in the State of Arizona; will possess good specification and technical writing skills, with a strong background in highway design, construction, and materials; and will demonstrate good communication and teamwork skills. Applicants should have at least five years’ experience in highway design and/or construction; and experience in writing performance specifications.
Note: All applicants will be subjected to a pre-employment exercise prior to the interview.
- This position requires registration as a professional Civil Engineer by the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration, or eligibility for reciprocity.
This position requires possession of a valid Arizona Class D Driver License. Candidates for this position must complete page 7 and sign the Driver Form on page 8 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment at the time of interview, which will allow ADOT to obtain the candidate's motor vehicle record (MVR). The most recent 39-month period shown on the MVR will be reviewed in accordance with A.A.C. R2-10-207.12 (H) and (I). The review must show an acceptable driving record prior to any offer of employment being made by ADOT. Employment is contingent upon an acceptable MVR.
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
- Affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans
- Top-ranked retirement and long-term disability plans
- Accrued vacation pay and sick days
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Deferred compensation plan
- Wellness plans
Please visit http://www.azdot.gov/Inside_ADOT/HR/Employment.asp to learn more about benefits given to ADOT employees.
All newly hired employees will be subject to the E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification Program.
ADOT supports a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of the Agency, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
To submit your resume click the "APPLY NOW" button below
Having trouble applying for this position? Email [email protected]
Post Date: 10/17/2016
Close Date: 11/30/2016