Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (5C) in Portland, Oregon
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Portland, OR
Work Schedule is Intermittent - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (12 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number 1804740
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise To care for them who shall have borne the battle, and for their survivors by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
* VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.*
The incumbent practices as an RN on the 5C and/or RRTP, within the Mental Health and Neurosciences Division. 5C is an acute, locked inpatient unit which specializes in psychiatric care for Veterans, including substance abuse, dementia, major mental illnesses, and personality disorders. RRTP provides residential rehabilitation services for homelessness and substance abuse. Based on education and experience, incumbent may be assigned responsibilities as a preceptor or charge nurse.
Work Schedule: Schedules will vary as needed by the department (intermittent).
*Functional Statement Title/#:* Registered Nurse #000000
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing (CGFNS must be provided). The completion of course work equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit evidence of ability to sit for the NCLEX along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
- Minimum Education: Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing
- Minimum Experience: None Required
- Education: BSN
- Experience: Approximately 2-3 years
Grade Determinations:Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference:*VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.*This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
** Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Moderate Carrying (15-44lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13 to 16; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Emotional and Mental stability; Hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. [HR users - input the following if applicable to your JOA] VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $59,806.00 to $100,552.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: AD-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 450877200
Job Announcement Number: VS-16-GMM-1804740-MHC-BU