Ministry Health Care Medical Technologist or Experienced MLT-St. Mary’s Hospital (36 HPW, Nights) in Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Title: Medical Technologist or Experienced MLT-St. Mary’s Hospital (36 HPW, Nights) Location: WI-Rhinelander-St Mary%27s - 2251 North Shore Drive Job Number: R-1411777
Ministry St. Mary’s Heart Hospital currently has an opening for a 36 hour/week Medical Technologist or Experienced Medical Lab Tech. Primary shifts for this position will be on the night shift and it is eligible for the complete benefits package.
Independently performs laboratory procedures. Must be able to detect errors or critical values and report them to the physician. Makes critical life threatening decisions. Answers technical questions from doctors or other hospital staff. Technical resource for MLTs/CLTs. Continually under the risk of infections and toxic exposure. Serves as General Supervisor when assigned.
• Collect arterial, venous, and capillary blood proficiently from geriatric, adult, pediatric, and neonatal patients.
• Accurately perform manual and automated test procedures including testing micro-samples from geriatric and pediatric patients. Review results critically recognizing the inter-dependency of tests, the physiological condition affecting tests and variation of normal values in geriatric, adult, pediatric, and newborn patients.
• Perform QC/QA procedures according to policy to insure accurate and timely results. Document all quality control and quality assurance properly. Assist in maintaining current procedure manuals.
• Perform routine/preventive maintenance/calibration on equipment. Troubleshoot equipment which is not functioning properly. Document all maintenance and troubleshooting appropriately. Ensure adequate reagents/supplies are available and not outdated. Maintain work area in a safe, clean condition.
• Maintain a working knowledge of the hospital/laboratory information system, individual department systems, and stand alone terminals.
• Share the coverage of shifts and departments as needed with all other staff, Medical Technologists, and Technicians according to the career ladder. Perform any other tasks as directed by the Medical Director and Laboratory Manager.
• Must be proficient in all emergency test procedures.
• Must be able to juggle multiple priorities, work within tight time frames, and maintain concentration for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to prioritize and multitask.
• Must comply with appropriate safety precautions. Must be able to handle biohazardous blood and body fluid specimens appropriately.
• Must be able to complete forms, logs, charts, and requisitions legibly.
• Expected to exhibit a commitment to service, embrace performance improvement, and promote an environment of team work.
• Adhere to standards outlined in the Laboratory Compliance Program. Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree for Medical Technology that qualifies for an approved MT/CLS registry
Associates degree for Medical Lab Technology that qualifies for an approved MT/CLS registry
ASCP (or equivalent) certification in MT/CLS, or obtain within one year of hire date Job: Medical Technology