Alsco Inc Chief Engineer in Roanoke, Virginia
Description Classification Exempt
Job Summary The Chief Engineer (Branch) has overall responsibility for the daily repair and preventative maintenance of industrial textile processing equipment and facility maintenance. The Chief Engineer supervises the work of others and assists them to ensure that tasks such as start-up and shut-down procedures, electrical troubleshooting, maintaining and operating boilers, welding and cutting, hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanical, or other systems are completed according to policies and procedures. This position reports to the Branch General Manager.
Maintains all operating equipment in satisfactory condition.
Supervises the plant engineering staff and consults with production, sales, and service personnel to ensure efficient plant operations.
Manages spare parts inventories in a cost effective manner.
Executes an effective preventative maintenance program to minimize unscheduled equipment downtime.
Installs, repairs and performs preventative maintenance on industrial processing equipment, water levels, water systems and other equipment and systems.
Troubleshoots electrical issues.
Diagnoses problems, replaces or repairs parts, tests and makes adjustments.
Ensures work is performed safely and efficiently.
Develops, trains, maintains and administers a department of qualified personnel required to maintain all equipment and facilities in a safe and efficient working condition.
Advise the General Manager of parts, supplies and equipment requirements. Order such as needed while controlling expenses and inventories.
Supervise the handling of daily maintenance requests to minimize equipment down-time and continually improve operational processes.
Work with all plant personnel in a cooperative and professional manner.
Strictly adhere to all safety rules, policies and procedures required by Alsco, law, and what is recognized as common practice in the industry.
Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications and establishing personal networks. Remains current on equipment and repair procedures and best practices.
Studies blueprints and manufacturers’ manuals to determine correct operation of machinery.
Proficient in reading electrical schematics.
Develop and train engineering staff to keep them current on equipment and repair procedures and best practices.
Keep accurate and timely records of maintenance performed.
Follow written and verbal instructions and perform other tasks as directed by supervision.
Comply with all Federal, State and local laws.
May work with and support other branch personnel as required by supervision.
Drive and pick up parts, transport equipment, parts, etc.
Have and maintain a valid driver’s license and driving record free of chargeable accidents, speeding or other safety violations.
Minimum of five years maintenance engineering experience with specific knowledge of machinery, electricity, electronics, plumbing, hydraulics, pneumatics, welder and boiler applications.
Strong electrical troubleshooting ability of 3 phase 230 volt systems.
PLC programming experience.
Experience in carpentry, boiler repair, welding, and general facility repairs.
Must be a team player with enthusiasm, initiative, and pride in work well done; self-starter dedicated to continual quality improvement. Education
High school graduate or equivalency. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Some locations may require relevant certifications, a boiler license or PLC programming. Typical Physical Activity
Standing, sitting, walking, stooping, driving a forklift, grasping, moving equipment, pushing, pulling, moving loaded carts weighing up to 500 lbs, reading, speaking, hearing, and lifting up to 60 lbs.
Typical Environmental Conditions
- Inside and outside areas of a typical industrial laundry facility, which includes working with and around large machinery, variations in temperature, noise, odors, humidity, lint and dust, in general offices or on outside grounds.
- Occasionally, such as to procure parts.
The Chief Engineer (Plant) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately, and without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The statements made herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive and inclusive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required of personnel so classified.
Alsco is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
Requisition Number: 16-2474
Post Date: 9/28/2016
Posting Expiration Date: 10/28/2016
Title: Chief Engineer
Address: 3401 Shenandoah Ave. NW