Black & Veatch OSP Design Engineering Specialist 2 in San Diego, California
OSP Design Engineering Specialist 2
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Contract with potential to convert to full time. OSP/ISP Fiber Design Engineering Specialist. Functions in an engineering capacity. Under close supervision, performs engineering functions requiring knowledge and experience in engineering principles. Performs all aspects of conventional outside plant (OSP) design engineering and analysis. Broadens knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan Review/production-Site Solutions 70%
Budget Management 10%
Site Walks 20%
An Engineering Specialist’s primary responsibility is to work collaboratively with the Engineering Manager and the design/engineering team on the production of high quality deliverables on telecommunications projects, in accordance with engineering practices, Telecom Business Unit policies, and client requirements.
Additionally, the Engineering Specialist will:
Help lead the delivery of our work products and services to our Client’s satisfaction.
Work closely with the Engineering Manager, and Engineering and Graphics staff in KC in delivering projects that meet budget, scope, schedule, and quality goals.
Develop good working relationships and communications with the Engineering Manager, KC Engineering staff, Client representatives, and potential Engineering Vendors.
Responsibilities identified herein define the minimum expectations for the position of Engineering Specialist.
• Keep the Engineering Manager, Production Engineering Team fully advised as to progress of the market related work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
• Monitor and evaluate quality and progress of local market engineering staff as assigned by the Engineering Manager.
• Gather field data as required to support the design production staff. Utilize all data collection equipment in the manner directed and in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Advise Engineering Manage in a timely fashion of equipment deficiencies.
• Interface with jurisdiction officials and apply regulations as required.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular update of such to the Engineering Manager.
• Operate in a safe manner and in accordance with Division safety policies and standards.
• Communicate lessons learned to the Engineering Manager and the project team.
Records & Project Close-out
• Maintain project records and files as defined in the Project Execution Manual and as directed by the Engineering Manager.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Minimum of 1 year related work experience in Fiber/OSP/Wireline Design, highly prefer 3+ years.
Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
Ideal candidates will have 2-3 years direct OSP telecommunications experience and 1-3 years construction management experience.
AT&T wireline/fiber experience preferred
Ideal candidates will be experienced in OSP design of copper and fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground, and buried applications.
Ability to draft with AutoCAD is also a plus.
Non-Technical (Lominger) Competencies:
• Learning on the Fly
• Problem Solving
• Intellectual Horsepower
• Written Communications
• Drive For Results
• Decision Quality
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Basic ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends
• Basic knowledge of company quality program
• Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Basic knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Basic knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Basic knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.