Washington State Electronics Technician/Electrician - TST B - Georgetown in Seattle, Washington
_This position is open until filled._
WSDOT has an incredible opportunity for an apprentice / mid-level ITS electronics technician who has the ambition and skills to support the vast electrical infrastructure of Washington State's Northwest Region. The technician will perform work maintaining, and repairing the electronic / electrical equipment throughout the region. Most of the work will concentrate in the King County Area. There must be assurances that work is performed efficiently, with safety first as the focus. Critical decisions need to be made in the field as to the degree of hazard to the site users and the motoring public, so strong initiative and responsibility is a must.
The work will be on various Intelligent Traffic Systems equipment existing, but not limited to, Reversible Roadway signs, gates, and cabinets, (I-5 and I-90 Express Lanes) VMS, CCTV, Fiber Optics Splicing, Fiber Optic Hubs, I-405, SR520, and SR167 Tolling Equipment, Highway Advisory Radio(HARS), and Active Traffic Management (ATM).
The incumbents will work a day shift, with several shift options, Monday – Friday, and will work out of our Seattle Signals Division office. The incumbent must be available to travel throughout the Northwest Region. They may be required to respond to emergency call outs and work weekend shifts during inclement conditions that can include assisting with the snow plowing operation, and to provide backup power for tolling equipment. The incumbent will be encouraged to work random weekend days or nights to perform the I-90 and I-5 Express Lane Operations.
Transportation System Technician – B candidates must successfully pass a qualifying examination. You will be notified of the time and location of that exam should you be chosen to move forward in the selection process. Please begin studying for the test from the web site provided below.
**Test dates will be provided in the future. Please check bulletin for updates in the near future.
This position will perform the following work:
- Work hands on performing maintenance and repair of existing inventory.
- Work hands on for small construction projects that could include installing underground conduit, pouring and finishing concrete for pad mount equipment as well as pole bases.
- Review drawings, prints, schematics, and as-built prints as needed.
- Possess trouble-shooting skills to work on control system malfunctions and be able determine the best choice of repair or replacement.
- Trouble-shoot analog and digital I/O components.
- Operate electric power tools required for repair, or removal and installation of electrical systems and components.
- Use hand tools required for maintenance and repair of equipment
- Be able to operate gas powered vegetation control equipment such as weed eaters, hedge trimmers etc.
- Operate large equipment such as manlifts, various cranes, excavators, concrete saws, etc.
- Work on ladders
- Work out of the bucket of manlifts 60' or higher.
- Set and retrieve traffic control devices on high speed, high volume traffic roadways.
- Install, remove, and maintain both electrical and electronic roadway equipment, both pad mounted and aerial.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Possess a Class B CDL without air brake restriction or be capable of obtaining a Class B CDL within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, including, staff, peers, vendors, contractors, engineers, etc.
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people of all ages from academically, culturally and socio-economically diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of power distribution, branch circuits, and high voltage distribution systems.
- Experience using electrical and electronics metering and testing equipment.
- Hold and maintain a valid Washington State driver's license. (Provide a drivers abstract at interview).
- Knowledge of lock out and tag out.
- Ability to see and differentiate colors to perform electrical and electronic maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to work from blueprints, plans, and sketches.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. of equipment.
- Ability to move about unrestricted while climbing stairs/ladders/inclines and uneven surfaces.
- Able to communicate using a 700 MHZ radio network.
_Upon passing the TST B entrance exam, you will be invited for an interview in the near future._
An email invitation will be sent to candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position regarding the location and time of the TST B Electrical entrance exam test. You should begin studying for the test as soon as you complete your application. Go to: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Employment/SystemTechStudyGuide.htm*). Make sure you are reviewing the study guide for the B _Electrical_ for this position*.
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the largeapply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide your resume. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Peter Asaiat 206-440-4066 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 2016-NWR-142.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email email@example.com.
Salary: $56,844.00 - $67,584.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - S. Seattle, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 2016-NWR-142
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact