Washington State Electronics Technician/Electrician - TST B - Georgetown in Seattle, Washington
This position is open until filled.
WSDOT has incredible opportunities for a journey-level electronics technicians/electricians who have the ambition and skills to support the vast infrastructure of Washington State. These professionals will perform skilled journey-level electrical and electronic work operating, maintaining, and repairing traffic signal systems, highway illumination systems, and highway electrical control systems. The work will concentrate in the King County Area and there must be assurances that work on electrical systems is performed efficiently with safety as the focus. Critical decisions need to made in the field as to the degree of hazard to the site users and the motoring public so strong initiative and responsibility is a must.
The incumbents will work a day shift, Monday – Friday, 6AM to 2:30PM out of our renown Seattle Signals office. The incumbent must be available to travel throughout the Northwest region and may be required to respond to emergency call outs and work weekend shifts during inclement conditions. Transportation System Technician – B candidates must successfully pass a qualifying examination. You will be notified of the time and location of that exam should you be chosen to move forward in the selection process. Please begin studying for the test from the web site provided below.
**Test dates will be provided in the future. Please check bulletin for updates in the near future.
This position will perform the following work:
- Design, plan, layout, and work hands on performing maintenance, repair, and construction projects.
- Review drawings, prints, schematics, and as-built prints as needed.
- Trouble-shoot when control systems malfunction to determine the best choice of repair or replacement.
- Trouble-shoot analog and digital input and output devices.
- NEC compliance load calculations.
- Provide input with scheduling and planning with preventative maintenance.
- Operate small tools and equipment required for repair, or removal and installation of electrical systems and components.
- Operate large equipment such as manlifts, various cranes (when certified), excavators, concrete saws, etc.
- Set and retrieve traffic control devices.
- Install, remove and maintain both electrical and electronic roadway equipment both pad mounted and aerial.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Possess a Class B CDL without air brake restriction or be capable of obtaining a Class B CDL within 6 months of hire.
- 3 years of experience as a Transportation Systems Technician A completion of TST A training program or equivalent experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, including, staff, peers, vendors, contractors, engineers, etc.
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people of all ages from academically, culturally and socio-economically diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of distribution, utilization and branch circuits, and high volyshr.distribution systems.
- Experience using equipment such as and not limited to ammeter, megger, and tic tracer.
- Experience using electronic flow charts and schematics.
- Knowledge of lock out and tag out.
- Ability to see and differentiate colors to perform electrical and electronic maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to work from blueprints, plans, and sketches, estimate materials and time needed to complete jobs. Use and maintain hand and power tools and specialty electrical tools.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. of equipment.
- Work on ladders and in manlifts at 60' or higher.
- Ability to move about unrestricted while climbing stairs/ladders/inclines and uneven surfaces.
- Able to communicate using a 700 MHZ radio network.
- Hold and maintain a valid Washington State driver's license. (Provide a drivers abstract at interview).
- Set and retrieve traffic control devices under the guidance of a Traffic Control Supervisor.
Upon passing the TST B exam which will be of which a test date will be provided in the near future, you will be invited for an interview.
An email invitation will be sent to candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position regarding the location and time of the TST B Electrical test*. You should begin studying for the test as soon as you complete your application. Go to:* http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Employment/SystemTechStudyGuide.htm*). Make sure you are reviewing the study guide for the B Electrical for this position* .
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the largeapply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide your resume. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Peter Asaiat 206-440-4066 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-NWR-142.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-NWR-142
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $55,728.00 - $66,264.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - S. Seattle, WA