Defense Commissary Agency Store Manager in Spangdahlem, Germany
The foundation for success of the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) mission is our people. It is DeCAs goal to have a workforce that is representative of the nations diverse cultures and backgrounds. We strive for a work environment of world-class enterprise leaders and an engaged, highly motivated, and capable workforce with a results oriented performance culture.
The DeCA operates a worldwide commissary system that provides quality grocery products at cost to active duty military personnel and retirees, members of the Reserve and National Guard, and their families. The agency employs about 18,000 people and its annual sales exceed $6 billion.
Employees Serviced by DLA: Civilian Federal employees who receive human resources servicing through the Defense Logistics Agency DO NOT need to submit supporting documentation if applying through merit promotion. Your record in Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) will be used to verify your eligibility. It is your responsibility to ensure the required documents are in your eOPF for verification purposes. If your documents are not in eOPF, you must submit them to the announcement you are applying for at time of application. Failure to submit all of the documents on time will result in automatic disqualification.
All current and former Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
Plans, directs, coordinates and controls the diverse day-to-day commissary department operation. Resolves employee and customer complaints. Acts as department manager (produce/meat/grocery) supervises department managers engaged in the operation of the store. Provides guidance and training to subordinates in the execution of the display program. Conducts periodic inspections for compliance with sanitation and safety requirements. Assures item requisitions are made to maintain appropriate stock levels. Assures pricing of all department items is in compliance with applicable regulations. Provides guidance and training to subordinates in the execution of the inventory requirements. Follows up to ensure that all inventories are conducted timely and accurately as required
- Occasional Travel
- Travel by military or commercial transportation, including air or land, may be necessary in the performance of officially assigned duties.
- PCS is AUTHORIZED
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Application materials must be received by 11:59PM EST on the closing date.
- This position is located in Spangdahlem, Germany
In accordance with the Group Coverage Qualifications Standards for General Schedule (GS) Positions under the General Coverage for Administrative and Management Positions, http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs1100/1144.htm and http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-admin.asp, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-08 grade level OR two and one-half years of graduate level education OR a combination of education and experience by the closing date of this announcement.
Examples of specialized experience include:
Managing a commissary store, supermarket, or similar type of commercial retail food store. Managing a department in a retail food store. Developing, interpreting, or applying policies, procedures, and operating standards for use in a retail food store. Planning, standardizing, or controlling operations in an assigned group of commercial retail food stores. Providing technical advice on merchandising and operational matters pertaining to grocery, meats, and produce, as well as front end operations.
Appropriate education may be substituted for or combined with experience. This education must be from a college or university accredited by an organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education. See http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx for more information.
To be creditable, education must be in a major field such as business administration, public administration, agricultural economics (food industry management), or other fields related to the position. The education must have equipped the applicant with the knowledge and ability to perform the work of the position. This would be evidenced by on-the-job training in food retail management or an internship or practicum in food retail management.
Transcripts must be provided if you are using education to qualify. Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position. We accept unofficial transcripts, as long as they contain the applicant's name, the name of the school, the date and degree that was awarded, and the list of classes and credits earned. Transcripts must be received by this office no later than 11:59PM EST on the closing date in order to be considered.
In addition to meeting the qualifications outlined above, you must also meet the following requirements: Time-in-Grade: Current or previous federal employees must have held a permanent appointment in the competitive or excepted service for a minimum of 52 weeks at the GS-08 (or equivalent) level to be eligible for this position. Education may not be substituted for time-in-grade. Time after competitive appointment: Candidates applying under merit promotion must have completed three months of civilian service after a competitive appointment by the closing date of the announcement. (5 CFR 330.501)
Conditions of Employment:
- Work Schedule: Full Time
- Tour of Duty: Irregular Schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Costs: ARE Authorized
- Position Sensitivity: Secret
- Security Requirements: Must be able to obtain and maintain a background security clearance
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel: Occasionally
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Testing: Not Required
- Physical Requirement: Requires frequent lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, and handling of products weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted; occasionally more than 40 pounds with assistance. Work in temperature differences or damp and draft conditions when necessary.
- Selective Service Requirement: All male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the selective service system. Please visit https://www.sss.gov for more information.
- Obligated Position: No
- Mobility Agreement: Yes, selectee will be required to sign a mobility agreement as a condition of employment.
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a two-year supervisory probationary period.
- Deliberate attempts to falsify your application information, such as copying portions of this job announcement into your resume, may result in you being removed from consideration for this position.
- Applicants that have had a position change that involved a permanent change of station (PCS) move are deferred from referral consideration for a period of one year, unless the vacancy is within the local commuting area of the employee's current duty station.
- Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement upon its closing for up to 180 days.
- Overseas Employees: DeCA employees working overseas MUST submit copies of your latest SF-50, showing your grade and salary.
- Status applicants in their fourth year of an overseas assignment cannot be selected unless a waiver of the 5-year Overseas Service Limitation Requirement is approved.
- Status applicants not assigned to a federal appointment within the United States (CONUS) for at least 2 years cannot be selected for overseas employment.
- Property Management Services (if applicable)
- Separate Maintenance Allowance (if applicable)
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicant reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews. Once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of decision.
To check the status of your application, please refer to Application Manager at http://applicationmanager.gov.
The federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. You may explore the major benefits offered to most federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Overseas Assignment Information: http://www.hr.dla.mil/resources/employment/overseas/overseas.asp
REGARDING INTERVIEWS: Interviews may be required for this position. Accommodations may be made to conduct telephonic interviews to preclude travel hardships for applicants.
Reemployed Annuitant: This position Does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
Reemployed Annuitant: A former Federal employee who has retired under either the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is an Annuitant. An annuitant cannot be hired (i.e. reemployed) unless the vacant position meets the criteria in the Department of Defense (DOD) policy on employment of annuitants issued December 10, 2008. "Reemployed Annuitant: Does Not Meet Criteria" the vacancy does not meet the criteria for appointment of annuitants (irrespective of eligibility or qualifications). Annuitant applicants are advised, in accordance with DoD Policy, that further consideration for the vacancy is not permitted.
Individual with Financial Difficultyhttps://hru.gov/StudioRecruitment/tools/MythbusteronFederalHiringPolicies.pdf
If you are using part-time work to qualify for this position, be sure your resume reflects the beginning and ending dates of your employment and the number of hours you worked per week.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472448000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $47,630.00 to $61,922.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1144-10/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Current appointable DeCA employees with Career Conditional or Career Status
Control Number: 472448000
Job Announcement Number: DECA-HQ-17-1973602-MP