Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Sr. Electrical Engineer in Virginia
All WMATA posted job openings are available through 11:59 pm the night before the noted Close Date. To ensure successful submission of application applicants are encouraged to apply well before this cut-off. The noted Close Date is the date on which the posting is automatically removed from the website as of 12:00am at which time submission of an application is no longer possible. (WMATA reserves the right to remove postings at any time without notice as business needs demand.)
The Sr. Traction Power Engineer candidate:
- Will have a detailed understanding of Traction Power system design and will be familiar with various traction power equipment such as AC Switchgear, DC Switchgear, Negative Switchboard, Rectifiers, Rectifier Transformers, DC and AC Bus duct System and stinger systems.
- Will review various vendor equipment drawings, construction specifications, grounding grid designs, Duct bank system designs or design changes as well as product data submittals for compliance.
- Will Witness field tests and review field and factory test reports for compliance with applicable requirements such as WMATA Design Criteria, approved specifications and drawings as well as applicable industry standards for equipment rating, grounding as well as cathodic protection and stray current control systems design.
- Primary immediate responsibility is to support the construction, testing and commissioning of Silver Line extension Phase 2 project (both Mainline and Dulles Yard). After Dulles phase 2 task the candidate will support the entire WMATA power system.
* Please note that the physical location of this position is Herndon, VA. *
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and at least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in electrical engineering, especially in design and related functions, to include responsible program management and related supervisory experience is preferred; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
Registration or the ability to acquire registration as a Professional Engineer in one of the signatory jurisdictions of the WMATA compact, i.e., the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia is required.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job. Must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
This is responsible professional electrical engineering work of a complex nature. Serves as the electrical systems design manager and is responsible for overseeing the review and coordination of all electrical designs, plans and specifications required for the Authority's rapid rail and bus transit system. Has extensive latitude for independent judgment and action within guidelines. Serves as the Head of the Electrical Engineering Section and has supervisory responsibility over assigned engineers. Performance will be evaluated based upon effective completion of duties.
Supervises Authority electrical engineers, technicians and consultants.
In coordination with the General Engineering Consultant electrical staff, develops electrical engineering design criteria, plans and specifications as guidance for stage and section designers.
Reviews engineering criteria, directive and standard drawings, and specifications related to electrical systems.
Reviews drawings, specifications and computations developed by Section Designers for electrical systems equipment such as switchgear, electrical panels, power control components, motors, pumps, fans, escalators, cables, cathodic protection and heating devices.
Initiates and effectively manages design projects for traction power equipment installations in support of the WMATA rail system.
Review recommendations for tests and control procedures for prime electrical equipment.
Acts as primary point of contact within the Authority for matters pertaining to electrical systems.
Prepares and presents accurate engineering reports on electrical facilities and electrical systems on time.
Represent the organization on matters pertaining to electrical systems and equipment for Metrorail and Metrobus services.
Prepares electrical design drawings and specifications for miscellaneous WMATA facilities relating to rail, administrative and bus operations.
Coordinates the development of electrical service agreements with the utility companies for the provision of electrical service for new rail operations and for updating existing systems.
Initiates and manages new Electric Service Connection contracts with the utility companies.
Performs duties related to WMATA lighting designs.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Job Title: Sr. Electrical Engineer
Job ID: 170531
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: VA - Dulles Project Mgt Office