SoSi Translation Advisor in Afghanistan
For 25 years, clients in the private and public sectors have relied upon SOS International LLC (SOSi) for critical operations in the world’s most challenging environments. SOSi is privately held, was founded by its current ownership in 1989, maintains corporate headquarters in New York City, and specializes in providing logistics, construction, training, intelligence, and information technology solutions to the defense, diplomatic, intelligence and law enforcement communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance employment of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
1-161006-4677: Translation Advisor
Job Category Consulting/Advisory Support
Duty Location Overseas - Afghanistan
Type of Position Full Time
Requisition Number 1-161006-4677
**This position is contingent upon award of contract.**
SOS International LLC (SOSi) is seeking an Translation Advisor in support of a U.S. government customer. Translation Advisors provide cultural expertise in support of missions in Afghanistan. This position reports to the SOSi Section Lead.
• Be open-minded and committed to working towards a free and democratic Afghanistan, and be willing to support the efforts of U.S. military forces in Afghanistan
• Conducts real-time and accurate interpretations of ongoing conversations in English, Pashto and/or Dari, and/or applicable local dialects
• Provides analysis of and recommendations about Afghan political, social, economic, cultural, religious and tribal issues and other potentially newsworthy trends in the AOR
• Acts as a facilitator at meetings between the military and Afghan officials as deemed appropriate
• Through networking, gather information from the local community about issues or events of local or regional significance, special events and celebrations
• Gathers information on issues that are important to the Afghan people and the supported command
• US citizenship with a valid, active DoD SECRET clearance; a TOP SECRET clearance is preferred
• Bachelor’s degree highly desired
• Translation Advisors must have been born in Afghanistan, and possess a demonstrated, intimate, firsthand understanding of Southwest Asian culture and Afghan society in particular, acquired by personal experience or professional study
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience working, studying and/or interacting in predominantly Afghan communities as an adult (over the age of 21), or present clear evidence of contacts and relationships with key circles of influence in Afghan society of pressing value to our customer or other supported end-user entities. Experience may include university education in Afghanistan, time spent in Afghan refugee camps, and/or adult work experience in Afghanistan
• Possess demonstrated knowledge and understanding of independently verifiable tribal, political, religious, business and/or military connections in Afghanistan that are of value to the U.S. effort.
• Possess ability to establish community and business contacts in the actual area(s) where the individual is scheduled for deployment
• Be able to communicate fluently and effectively verbally, and possess excellent writing skill sets, in English and Dari or Pashto, as well as other applicable Afghan languages or dialects spoken where assigned. An ILR proficiency level of 4 in listening, reading, and writing is required
• Able and willing to translate documents and conduct real-time, accurate and concise oral interpretations of conversations
• Proficient operating required computer and communications equipment, including word processing, graphic presentation and spreadsheet software. AAs must also be capable of using a Dari/Pashto keyboard in conjunction with their duties
• Excellent written, oral, briefing, interpersonal and technical skills
• Disclose business interests, commercial relationships, or real property owned in Southwest and Central Asia, to prevent conflicts of interest
• Live and work daily with military customer in austere conditions across Afghanistan
• Function effectively and efficiently in a conflict zone, during extended periods of high pressure and stress