Arthur J. Gallagher Manager of SOX in United States
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (Gallagher), one of the world's largest insurance brokerage and risk management services firms, provides a full range of retail and wholesale property/casualty (P/C) brokerage and alternative risk transfer services globally, as well as employee benefit brokerage, consulting and actuarial services. Gallagher also offers claims and information management, risk control consulting and appraisal services to clients around the world.
Gallagher is a rapidly growing company, via acquisitions and organic growth, with revenues of over $5.6B in 2016 and employing over 24,000 employees.
If you're looking for a professional career with an industry leader then you have come to the right place. Wherever your interests lie, we're sure you will agree on one thing: our continued prosperity hinges on our greatest resource --- our people.
Arthur J. Gallagher is looking for a Manager of SOX Compliance, reporting to the Director of SOX and ERM. This role will assist in coordination of all aspects of internal financial controls by providing subject matter expertise on control matters with a primary focus on Sarbanes-Oxley compliance across all lines of business and corporate functional areas. The Manager will also assist with developing company-wide control standards, managing control-related projects, partnering with the business to identify solutions and process improvements, and provide training on control-related initiatives. This role also necessitates staying abreast of key financial reporting control issues to understand the impact on the consolidated financial statements and footnote disclosures and develop solutions/process improvements in regard to the issues identified.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the global company-wide SOX program including interpreting and providing guidance based on SEC guidance and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (“PCAOB”) standards to all divisions and corporate functional areas
- Collaborate with management to identify, review, and monitor internal risk and control activities and strategies
- Aid process owners in documenting and implementing controls
- Maintain a good understanding of the IT systems supporting the entity and process level controls to leverage automated controls were applicable
- Assist with conducting an annual SOX risk assessment, determine scope, testing approach and timing; coordinate efforts with Internal Audit and External Audit
- Evaluate and identify issues, scoping and coverage tracking, findings and practices with Process Owners across all areas of the Company
- Communicate SOX issues and work with various levels of members of Finance teams and Process Owners to identify solutions / path to remediation
- Assist in reducing control deficiencies, year over year
- Conduct annual SOX control “refresh” to assess updates, additions or deletions needed across all controls in place; track, monitor and report on the Company’s SOX controls inventory and related status
- Conduct annual Delegation of Authority (DOA) and Segregation of Duties (SOD) “refreshes” to assess updates required
- Perform QA reviews of Process Owner SOX programs, seeking process improvements or changes required as a result of changing business conditions or practices
- Work actively with the Global Technology Services team on the SOX 404 technology guidance and IT-related issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 5+ years internal audit or external audit experience
- 2+ years of experience in a managerial role
- Experience managing, coaching and developing accounting and finance professionals
- COSO, SOX 302 and 404 compliance subject matter expert
- Strong understanding of internal controls
- Strong background in accounting, financial reporting and auditing
- Strong understanding of internal controls, particularly internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR)
- Strong desktop skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Professional Certification (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA)
- "Big 4" accounting experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with a high degree of comfort with management, peer groups and internal and external auditors
- Ability to be a change agent, consensus builder and thought leader that can drive improvement and efficiency by thinking creatively and outside the box
- Ability to independently and deliver results in a timely and accurate manner; possess a proactive, hands-on approach to project management and issue resolution
- Ability to effectively develop and communicate recommendations based upon SEC guidance and PCAOB standards
- Detail-oriented problem solver with proven ability to evaluate processes, controls and issues to determine the risks; proven ability to facilitate discussions and bring to closure control issues
- High ethical standards with a drive to achieve the right answer in difficult and/or urgent/frequently-changing situations
- Strong interpersonal skills and a history of collaboration across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be comfortable communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization and able to tailor communications appropriately
U.S. Eligibility Requirements:
- Interested candidates must submit an application and resume/CV online to be considered
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation; any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States. For U.S. employment opportunities, Gallagher hires U.S. citizens, permanent residents, asylees, refugees, and temporary residents. Temporary residence does not include those with non-immigrant work authorization (F, J, H or L visas), such as students in practical training status. Exceptions to these requirements will be determined based on shortage of qualified candidates with a particular skill. Gallagher will require proof of work authorization
- Must be willing to execute Gallagher's Employee Agreement or Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreement which requires, among other things, post-employment obligations relating to non-solicitation, confidentiality and non-disclosure
Gallagher offers competitive salaries and benefits, including: medical/dental/vision plans, life and accident insurance, 401(K), employee stock purchase plan, educational expense reimbursement, employee assistance program, flexible work hours (availability varies by office and job function) training programs, matching gift program, and more.
Gallagher believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against nor favor any applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, age, veteran status, disability, national origin, or any other legally protected status. Equal employment opportunity will be extended in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, layoff, and termination. In addition, Gallagher will make reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
Job: Regional and Branch Operations
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Rolling Meadows
Organization: Home Office Division
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 37092