Comcast CDN DEVOPS ENGINEER in Denver, Colorado
Comcast shapes the future at the intersection of media and technology. Comcast provides one of the kind entertainment platform, High Speed Data platform, and Internet of Things services including Home Security services. We create world-class experiences that people love and trust and drive innovation that builds value. We bring millions TV and entertainment, sports and news, communications and home management, theme parks, home security, Voice, and high speed Internet access. Comcast brings to life the best of what's to come. Comcast brings Entertainment, Internet, Voice, and other services to the customers via the largest footprint of networks in the country. 20M On-Demand video are streamed daily, 8200 Video and Audio Channels are streamed daily across the country, 167M phone calls are made and 153M messages are send daily on our network. Comcast supports more than 800K route miles or network pipeline.
We are looking for highly motivated engineers to join our DevOps team. Do you love to build and operate massive distributed systems? Are you passionate about Open Source software, and building systems using it? Do you like to add immediate, tangible business value? As an engineer on the CDN team, you will help build the infrastructure and operate the software to support the systems that deliver IP content for a wide range of mobile and first-screen television devices. As part of the larger Comcast engineering teams, you will help shape the next generation of IP content delivery and transform the customer experience. Using the tenets of DevOps, you will have the opportunity to interact with the entire stack, from architecture to production.
Who does the CDN engineer work with?
Traffic Control is the Open Source CDN control plane for which we lead the development, and this project represents our primary focus. Want to learn more? Visit https://trafficcontrol.apache.org/ . There you will find the documentation, source code, and every open bug. We're a small team, delivering state-of-the-art software solutions at the leading edge of CDN technology.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
We deliver petabytes of traffic and billions of transactions every day. Our software infrastructure is crucial in analyzing this data to visualize trends and enable deep-diving into issues.
Where can you make an impact?
Thinking out of the box and considering the customer experience are key to our success. We never want to impact service unless it is in a positive manner. We need additional team members to follow their passion of coding and contribute to the delivery code at the heart of many organizations!
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair complex issues.
- Performs maintenance activities with minimum supervision and guidance.
- Leads technical outage bridges and engages appropriate resources to drive issues to closure.
- Acts as an advocate for CDN Operations procedures, policies, and processes.
- Analyzes data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight.
- Acts as a technical resource in projects and initiatives to ensure successful project implementation.
- Contributes to design considerations for new products or architectural changes to existing products.
- Provides training and guidance to less experienced team members.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Ability to automate repetitive and well-defined tasks.
- Must be able to be part of an on-call rotation.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Traffic Control:
- Linux (Centos)
- An open mind and a passion for operations and automation excellence
- BS in Computer Science and/or 4 years equivalent experience
- Experience in system administration
- Experience operating software for Networking, Web services, DNS, HTTP, and TCP/IP
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great problem-solving skills, with a strong bias for solving problems at scale
- Strong troubleshooting skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Proven experience writing automation using Python
- Proven experience using Ansible
- Container experience a plus
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
About the CDN Team:
The CDN team is a quasi-startup group within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and is based in Denver's LoDo district. Our technology is open-source based, and our products deliver video and other content over IP infrastructure to an array of connected devices in and out of the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer